Links to Legal Resources

Loddon Campaspe Community Legal Centre
Loddon Campaspe Community Legal Centre provides free legal information and advice to Central Victorians who can’t afford a lawyer or who can’t get legal aid.

Loddon Campaspe Community Legal Centre is based in Bendigo. Our lawyers provide legal outreach to Echuca, and court assistance at Castlemaine, Echuca, Kerang, Kyneton, Maryborough and Swan Hill courts. We also deliver community legal education and promote justice through our law reform program.

171 Hargreaves Street, Bendigo
(03) 5445 0909
1800 450 909 (if calling from outside Bendigo)

You can also access information about our sister community legal centre Goulburn Valley CLC

A website for Victorians looking for answers to legal questions, needing to find free or low-cost legal help, or wanting to learn about the legal system: “a good place to start to solve your legal problems and find free or low-cost legal advice in Victoria.”
Produced by the Victoria Law Foundation.

Law Handbook
The Law Handbook is a practical guide to the law in Victoria, updated by over 80 legal experts. It provides free, comprehensive information about the laws that affect Victorians in everyday life.

Law Institute of Victoria Referral Helpline
The Law Institute’s Referral Service offers online referrals to lawyers by legal issue, location and area of law. You can search for Accredited Specialists, Arbitrators and Mediators.
Victoria Legal Aid (Bendigo)
Victoria Legal Aid (VLA) provides advice and assistance in relation to criminal law, family breakdown, family violence and civil law matters.

424 Hargreaves Street, Bendigo
(03) 5448 2333 or 1800 254 500 (if calling from outside Bendigo)

Advice Services
Telephone Advice (Melbourne):
Monday-Friday 8.45am-5.15pm
1800 677 402 (country callers)

Castlemaine, Echuca, Kerang, Kyneton, Swan Hill, Malmsbury Youth Training Centre, Loddon and Tarrengower prisons. Please note: Victoria Legal Aid (Ballarat Office, 5329 6222) provides outreach to Maryborough by appointment.

Duty Lawyers
Criminal charges, traffic offences and family violence matters:
Magistrates’ Courts – Bendigo, Castlemaine, Echuca, Kerang, Kyneton, Maryborough and Swan Hill.

Children’s Court – Bendigo
Family law asssitance is also available at the Federal Magistrates’ Court – Bendigo.

Infringements court, wills, powers of attorney, divorce (various locations as per demand)

Centrelink Service
Victoria Legal Aid provides a free legal service that visits its Bendigo office to help residents understand and take up their rights in dealing with Centrelink.

1300 792 387

Bendigo Magistrates’ Court
Bendigo Magistrates’ Court hears including applications for family violence Intervention Orders. Loddon Campaspe Community Legal Centre delivers a Family Violence Legal Service at the court.

Pall Mall, Bendigo
(03) 5440 4140

Housing Justice
Housing Justice provides advice, information and assistance to tenants about their rights and responsibilities, the Victorian Civil and Administration Tribunal (VCAT), negotiating with landlords and real estate agents. Housing Justice helps clients to stand up for themselves. They can also speak on tenants behalf or assist with letter writing. (Housing Justice is another program of the Advocacy and Rights Centre.)

171 Hargreaves Street, Bendigo
(03) 5445 0990 or
1800 450 990 (if calling from outside Bendigo)
Monday to Friday 9am-5pm

Tenancy: Tenants Union of Victoria
The Tenants Union of Victoria is a community legal centre specialising in residential tenancy law. They provide legal advice and publications for tenants and undertake research to deliver social change.  They have great flow charts on their website if you have a tenancy issue.

(03) 9416 2577

Neighbourhood Disputes: Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria
The Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria provides free and confidential dispute resolution and mediation services.

107 Baxter St, Bendigo 3550
(03) 5438 1550

Fine Fixer website
A really useful website helping you to understand what to do if you get a fine.

Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service
The Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service assists Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. Its solicitors are specialised in criminal law, family law or civil law. VALS also employs Indigenous Client Service Officers (CSOs), some of whom are based in regional centres. CSOs can help if you are arrested or in prison.

24 Hour Service:
(03) 9419 3888 or
Toll Free 1800 064 865

Head Office
6 Alexandra Pde, Fitzroy
Aboriginal Family Violence Prevention and Legal Service Victoria
The Aboriginal Family Violence and Prevention Legal Service helps victims of family violence and sexual assault and works with families and communities affected by violence.

Level 3, 70-80 Wellington St, Collingwood
(03) 9244 3333 or 1800 105 303 (country callers)
Regional Information & Advocacy Council
An association of self-help groups, individuals with disabilities, carers and family members of people with disabilities. RIAC provides individual advocacy and support for people with a disabilty, their family and carers.

(03) 5443 0550 or 1800 221 944
Monday to Friday 9am – 4pm

National Welfare Rights Network & Social Security Rights Victoria

National Welfare Rights Network is the peak community organisation in the area of social security law, policy and administration.  They have good fact sheets. 

(02) 9211 5389
Social Security Rights Victoria is a Victorian based community legal centre helping people with their Centrelink problems.
(03) 9481 0355 or 1800 094 164

Migration: Refugee & Immigration Legal Centre
The Refugee and Immigration Legal Centre is a community legal centre specialising in all aspects of refugee and immigration law, policy and practice.
Advice and Casework Services

(03) 9413 0100

Employment: Job Watch, Young Workers Centre and Fairwork
Job watch is an employment rights legal centre assisting with legal advice, community legal education and law reform. 

(03) 9662 1933 or 1800 331 617

Young workers Centre helps young workers who want to learn more about their rights at work or who need assistance in resolving workplace issues as well as helping with systemic campaings. 

1800 714 754
The Fair Work Ombudman is independent statutory authority which looks after workplace rights and responsibilities. They have a lot of really great resources and calculators.

13 13 94
CONSUMER LAW: Consumer Affairs Victoria & Consumer Action Law Centre
Consumer Affairs Victoria provides advice and assistance to consumers and traders in relation to renting and accommodation, estate agents, building, shopping, credit and trading in Victoria.

18-20 St Andrews Avenue, Bendigo
(03) 4433 3100 or
1300 558 181 (Consumer Affairs Helpline)
Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Consumer Action Law Centre is a Community Legal Centre that helps with consumer law problems focusing on making systemic change.
(03) 9629 6300 or 1800 466 477